Thursday, November 24, 2011

THANKSGIVING TRADITIONS


Traditions are a beautiful thing, especially around the holidays.  They give you something to look forward to each year.  In the weeks leading up to Thanksgiving, my husband Matt and I started discussing our holiday plans. Since I knew we were going to spend Christmas with his family this year, I told him I wanted to spend Thanksgiving with mine.  "But Amy, Tennessee is 9 hours away! That's 12 hours with traffic!  You really want to be in the car on the most traveled day of the year?" I had expected this type of response and I had my comeback ready.  "Yes Matt, Thanksgiving is a very important holiday for my family.  Everyone comes over, we have our turkey and ham, we play pool and watch football, we share what we are thankful for and then we pile our dessert plate high with chocolate cake and ..."  Matt stopped me right there.  "Whoa whoa whoa, cake?  No, on Thanksgiving, you eat pie."  I thought back to the entire table dedicated to pies at his Thanksgiving last year and shrugged, "We eat cake."

It took a few more minutes of convincing, but eventually Matt agreed to make the drive down to Tennessee for Thanksgiving.  As a thank you, I baked him a Toll House Cookie Pie, his favorite.  My family loved it, but more importantly, they were excited to share in one of Matt's Thanksgiving traditions.  As the years go by, I hope Matt and I can merge our traditions together, creating a unique holiday experience that is all our own.


Dying to try the Toll House Cookie Pie?  Follow this easy recipe! Ingredients: 2 eggs, ½ cup all purpose flour, ½ cup sugar, ½ cup packed dark brown sugar, 1 cup (2 sticks) melted and slightly cooled, One 6oz package choc. chips, 1 cup chopped pecans, Pie crust.  Instructions: Preheat oven to 325.  Melt the butter separately on the stove or microwave and set aside.  In a mixing bowl, beat the eggs, Add flour, sugar and brown sugar, mix until well blended. Blend in butter, mix really well, (it takes a few minutes to get it all blended really good).  Stir in the choc. chips and nuts. Pour into the pie crust and bake until it’s “set”.  (About 1 hour)  Enjoy!!

1 comment:

  1. bahahah!!! you should have told Matt to make the pie himself! haha loved reading this... and way to go Amy! love you guys!

    ReplyDelete